Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Prometheus - a spoiler-free review


Overall rating:
Expectations exceeded? Yes. Though to be honest I haven't bothered expecting anything other than beautiful visuals
Disappointed? Not in the slightest
Writing: I've enjoyed the film as a an undivided experience, if the expression makes sense. There weren't any faults in the script that threw me back into the real world. So from what I could tell, the writing's decent at very least.
Special Effects: Nothing stuck out to me as CG. I've really enjoyed the visual integrity of this movie.
Acting: Flawless
Action/Drama: We've pretty much got an entire cast full of interesting and well-developed characters and there's plenty going on!
Worth watching: Yes. In fact, it's worth a trip to the cinema, otherwise you'll miss out on some rather stunning visuals (I've seen the film in 2D by the way and therefore have no idea how well the 3D was done).

As I've already said, I really like the movie for its characters. I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that not a single one of them was useless or annoying. You can actually enjoy the film without waiting for someone to die already!
David has to be my favourite out of the entire crew. I won't elaborate, as I'm sure you'll see why when you watch the film. I was also mildly amused at how closely he resembled the nazi's idea of a perfect man (and before you assume anything about me, I think that racism is incredibly stupid).
I think the film is very well paced. There aren't any scenes that drag or go too fast. Also the story doesn't fall apart despite the fact that there's always plenty going on.
Another thing I found to be a real treat was the interior of the space ship. I loved the "oldschool" chunky look of it and how modern sci-fi features were integrated into it in a rather classy way, without ruining the overall feel of the place. I have no idea if that was an intentional nod to any sci-fi classics, but it brought a few to mind.

All in all, it's a beautiful film that really "sucks you in". It might be a bit early to tell, but I think Prometheus has made it into the top 5 on my all-time favourites list.

Purely for the sake of being different and not using the images everyone else is, here's a painting inspired by the movie. It's made by Radojavor and you can find the high-res version here.

No comments:

Post a Comment